Kirsten Harrell over at iPop-In tagged me the other day. Things have been crazy up here in the windy city and I am just now getting back to it.
I don’t usually go for memes, but I figure it might be interesting to share a few things about me that most folks might not know. So here it goes.
1. I was an only child even though I have a sister and a brother. My sister was born just a few months before I graduated from high school and my brother came along two years later. So I’m 18 and 20 years older then them. Same parents, same marriage. Just different.
2. In high school I spent my summers working for a horse trainer. Yes I rode horses. My parents had a few Arabians and they traded out my labor for discounts on training. I loved it even though I haven’t really been in a saddle in 15 years or more.
3. I was a professional navigator for about 10 years. I went to one of the maritime academies and was trained to navigate ocean going ships. After school I went into the Navy and was accepted into the flight program. Because I’m nearly blind without corrective lenses they made me a navigator instead of a pilot. So I was the guy who told the pilot where to go. (And yes I still get lost occasionally. And no. I don’t want to ask for directions!)
4. I’ve set foot on every continent except for two of the “A” continents. I’ve yet to go to Antarctica or Australia. (My visit to Africa was literally less than an hour.) I’ll be content if I never get to Antarctica, but Australia is one of the places I’ve wanted to see since I was a child. Ironically my wife, who hasn’t traveled all that much overseas, lived there for a year long before we met.
5. I grew up snow skiing in the Northeast. But since I move to the South I 1989 I’ve only been skiing once. And that was a breathtakingly wonderful experience in the Austrian Alps. I sure wouldn’t mind going back there one day. (But I want to get to Australia first!)
OK. There you have it. 5 Things you might not have known about me. Normally at this point you are supposed to tag 5 other folks to pass this on.
I’ve been out of the loop for a bit this week and I’m not up on whose already been tagged. So I think I’ll skip that part today.